My daughter loves pretend play. This was the perfect craft to make for playing pirate (which we play quite often). Grab and eye patch and a few materials from Jo-Ann's and you can make a treasure map that will rock their world!
You can get complete instructions from Jo-Ann fabric & craft stores here, but here's what we used to make ours:
Cork board (cut to desired size), distress ink, palm tree stickers, skull & cross-bone stickers, some girly skull & cross-bone gems, scrapbook paper, felt & Turbo Tacky Glue. (The stickers and gems were all on sale - score!)
|Sorry for the crummy photos. Our lighting was terrible, the flash didn't come on and well, we were having too much fun to stop and figure out how to get the camera to cooperate.|
1) Cut the cork board to your desired size. (We got the rolled cork board - we should have bough the flat piece because it was hard to keep the rolled cork board flat when decorating it. Oops.)
2) Using the Distress Ink pad, lightly brush the ink over the cork to create an aged look.
3) Draw your design on paper or think of what you want to have on your map before starting. Cut out pieces for things like a lake, ocean, quick sand, and island...anything you'd like!
4) Using Turbo Tacky Glue, glue your pieces on. I used hot glue for gluing felt on felt. Make sure you add an "X" to mark the treasure and add some gems!
5) Allow time to dry completely. (This is the hard part, but we don't want those gems or felt flopping off.)
6) Put on your eye patch (which we also snagged at Jo-Ann's) and be on your way to go find some treasure, matey! Argh!
Sign up to become a Jo-Ann Preferred Customer and get a 20% off coupon!
I already have this baby pinned with Jo-Ann's #summerofjoann hashtag.
I'd love for you to re-pin it here.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment; I’d love to hear from you.
If this is your first time here, you might like to receive weekly updates direct to your email.
We have many fun ideas to share.